[PPIE Lectures] This Weekend: PPIE Centennial Kickoff Celebrations! Starting Saturday Noon at the Palace of Fine Arts

La la at sf1915.com
Thu Feb 19 12:22:02 EST 2015

Dear Friends,

Welcome (a day early) to the Centennial of Opening Day of the Panama-Pacific
International Exposition!

I describe the original in my book:

"It was still dark when the trolley bells pealed and the sirens shrilled at
6:00 a.m. on February 20, but thousands of San Franciscans already had
awakened in anticipation of Opening Day. Rain fell intermittently, but the
crowd was eager to see what awaited them on the far side of the
twenty-foot-tall ice-plant hedge that had magically sprung up along Chestnut
Street. For two and one-half miles down Van Ness Avenue a solid throng
waited in the winter drizzle.. On that winter morning in San Francisco,
signs of this progress were evident in the gala opening ceremonies. As the
sun finally broke through and more than 250,000 attendees jostled for the
best view, aviator Lincoln Beachey circled the glittering Tower of Jewels in
a biplane. Precisely at noon a wireless signal from President Woodrow Wilson
in Washington, DC, activated the huge Busch-Sulzer diesel engine in the
Palace of Machinery, and all across the Fair the machines it powered
thrummed to life."

On Saturday, February 21, 2015, San Francisco will commemorate the great
Fair at the Palace of Fine Arts from 12:00pm - 5:00pm with a wonderful, free
Community Day! I've attached a slightly larger version of the image for
readability, but better still, check out the web page at:

http://www.ppie100.org/event/community-day-palace-fine-arts/

Highlights will include an Ohlone blessing, Polynesian dance, and a
"Uke-a-thon," featuring hundreds of ukulele enthusiasts from around the Bay!

At Community Day, I will be appearing in costume as Laura Ingalls Wilder,
who attended the Fair on a visit to her daughter, Rose Wilder Lane, who in
1915 was a journalist in San Francisco.  I will also be selling and signing
my book, San Francisco's Jewel City: The Panama Pacific International
Exposition of 1915

Also this weekend, the wonderful PPIE exhibit mounted by the California
Historical Society, "City Rising: San Francisco and the 1915 World's Fair,"
will open! This show will run until January 10, 2016. Here's more on the
exhibition:
http://www.ppie100.org/event/city-rising-san-francisco-1915-worlds-fair/

Then, on Monday night, I will be appearing at the Commonwealth Club on a
panel with the following luminaries:

James Ganz, Ph.D., Curator, Achenbach Foundation for Graphic Arts, Fine Arts
Museums of San Francisco
Kevin Starr, Ph.D., California State Librarian Emeritus
Lori Fogarty, Executive Director, Oakland Museum of California
Anthea Hartig, Ph.D., Executive Director, California Historical Society -
Moderator

We will be discussing: "The Panama-Pacific International Exposition: Its 100
Year Impact," and it should be a lively and fascinating conversation! Oops!
Looks like this event may be sold out, but check if you're interested at:
http://www.commonwealthclub.org/events/2015-02-23/panama-pacific-internation
al-exposition-its-100-year-impact

Note that replying is disabled for this mailing list. If you'd like to
contact me, please e-mail to ppie at sf1915.com. As always, please visit my
website for information on upcoming lectures at:

 <http://www.sf1915.com/events.htm> http://www.sf1915.com/events.htm

Hope I'll see you this weekend!

Regards,

Laura Ackley