[PPIE Lectures] Lecture "Illuminating the Jewel City: Spectacular Lighting at the Panama-Pacific International Exposition, " at the Old Mint in San Francisco, TOMORROW, February 10, 2015 at 7:00pm

La la at sf1915.com
Mon Feb 9 19:40:23 EST 2015

Dear Friends,

I will present my lecture "Illuminating the Jewel City: Spectacular Lighting
at the Panama-Pacific International Exposition," which will take place at
the fabulous Old Mint in San Francisco TOMORROW, February 10 as part of the
San Francisco Museum and Historical Society series.

Admission is $10 for the general public, $5 for Seniors, students, K-12
teachers and persons with disabilities, and free for SFMHS members.

The Old Mint is located at 88 Fifth Street at Mission in San Francisco.
Reception starts at 7:00 pm, the lecture will commence at 7:30.

After the lecture I will have copies of my book, San Francisco's Jewel City:
The Panama-Pacific International Exposition of 1915 available for sale and
autographing. They cost $43.70 including tax!

Historian John Freeman reminds me that street parking is next to impossible
in that area, but the Fifth and Mission Garage is conveniently located
diagonally across from the Old Mint. I highly recommend it.

This is what I'll discuss:

Illuminating the Jewel City: Spectacular Lighting at the Panama-Pacific
International Exposition

This lecture will take us on a nighttime tour of San Francisco's beautiful
1915 World's Fair. We will explore how Illuminating Engineer Walter D'Arcy
Ryan implemented groundbreaking lighting effects like The Great Scintillator
and The Electric Kaleidoscope in the face of tremendous skepticism. Learn
about the more than 100,000 large, cut-glass Novagems that adorned the Tower
of Jewels, how the San Francisco fog facilitated "The Devil's Fan" and
"Fighting Serpents and Octopus," and how Ryan's advances permanently
affected how architecture is lit. My talk includes a discussion of World's
Fairs prior to 1915 and is illustrated using photographs, stereoviews,
postcards, maps, newspaper illustrations, architectural renderings, and
lantern slides

Note that replying is disabled for this mailing list. If you'd like to
contact me, please e-mail to ppie at sf1915.com. As always, please visit my
website for information on upcoming lectures at:

 <http://www.sf1915.com/events.htm> http://www.sf1915.com/events.htm

Hope to see you tomorrow!

Regards,

Laura Ackley