[PPIE Lectures] This Thursday! PPIE Lecture in San Rafael, February 9, 2017

PPIE Lectures ppielectures at sf1915.com
Tue Feb 7 21:09:16 EST 2017

A quick reminder about Thursday's program!

Dear Friends,

My latest lecture is this Thursday, February 9 at the Elks Club at 1312
Mission Avenue, San Rafael.

The program will begin with a no-host reception, followed by my lecture
entitled "Farewell to the Fair."

"Farewell to the Fair" is a poignant look at the fabulous closing day
celebrations and ceremonies that took place December 4, 1915. It also
answers the question, "why did they tear it all down?" and describes the
complex dissolution of 635 acres of Fairgrounds adorned with several hundred
lovely structures.

The presentation also shows what became of some of the most famous elements
of the PPIE and how the Palace of Fine Arts became the sole Exposition
building remaining on the site. I will show dramatic and often rare images
using photos, editorial cartoons, lantern slides, souvenirs and even movies.

If you know of a history, civic, club, public service or other organization
that has a regular speaker series and you think they would enjoy one of my
nine different lectures, please contact me at ppie at 1915.com
<mailto:ppie at 1915.com> .

The Official Invitation and Schedule from the hosting organization, SAN
RAFAEL HERITAGE

a member of the National Trust for Historic Preservation

Thursday, February 9, 6:30 p.m.

The historic preservation organization San Rafael Heritage is pleased to
announce that Laura Ackley, award-wining author of the 2015 book San
Francisco's Jewel City: The Panama-Pacific International Exposition of 1915,
will give a talk at our Annual Meeting at the San Rafael Elks Lodge.

The San Rafael Elks Lodge is in the historic Boyd/Cook estate of Maple Lawn
located at 1312 Mission Avenue, San Rafael, (at the top of "C" Street.)
There is no charge for this event. There will be a social hour with
refreshments and a no-host bar from 6:30 to 7:00 pm. Laura's talk will
commence after a brief business meeting.

Laura's presentation will be "Farewell to the Fair." It highlights the last
day of the great 1915 Panama Pacific International Exposition, the
dismantling of its site, and how a preservation effort saved a few of the
structures-including some we cherish in Marin!

Guests will have an opportunity to purchase signed copies of this
extraordinary and beautiful book.

Ms. Ackley is glad to personally autograph each book.

Credit cards, cash or checks are accepted.

Please RSVP to Leslie Simons,  <mailto:simons72 at comcast.net>
simons72 at comcast.net, or 415 454-1878.

SAN RAFAEL HERITAGE

sanrafaelheritage.org

Member, National Trust for Historic Preservation

Note that replying is disabled for this mailing list, so do not hit "reply,"
I won't get the message!

If you'd like to contact me, please e-mail to  <mailto:ppie at sf1915.com>
ppie at sf1915.com. As always, please visit my website for book information:

Hope I'll see you Thursday!