[PPIE Lectures] My Talk at the San Rafael Heritage "Equinox Event" September 24, 2:30-5:00PM

la at sf1915.com la at sf1915.com
Thu Aug 31 23:47:37 EDT 2023

Dear Friends,

A few of you have expressed interest in the "Equinox Event" for San Rafael
Heritage, our local historic preservation society. (And I haven't told some
of you about it). It will feature music, food, libations, great views, and a
short history lecture! This year I'll be the guest speaker. It's a free
event for members (a mere $20/year), and you can even bring a guest.

First join, then register!

The image is a screengrab advertising the event, but the working link to
register is here:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/12d-GPTO5oTua2jBS04DvFcOTwaesKw3sM_E6cVfpgaU
/viewform?edit_requested=true )

My talk will be on on "San Rafael's First Fire Department." Here's the
description of the lecture:

San Rafael's first firemen kicked up dust as they dragged heavy, two-wheeled
fire wagons as through the unpaved streets of the small, 800-odd resident
town. This illustrated lecture by historian Laura Ackley traces the history
of San Rafael's first Fire Company from those low-tech-yet-resourceful
beginnings until today.

Ackley will cover the earliest, all-volunteer San Rafael Hook and Ladder
Company No. 1, the fire department's first purpose-built home in the 1895
San Rafael Town Hall and its subsequent move to the then-high tech Fire
Station 1917. She will also depict the progression of San Rafael's
firefighting equipment-from manpower to horsepower to "auto-trucks" to a
fire rig called "Snorkel." Using many rare images, she will also describe
the many modifications that allowed the 1917 Mediterranean-Revival station
to remain in operation for an entire century, as well as the next steps in
the evolution of San Rafael's original Fire Company.

I'd love to see one or more of my buddies there (and have included several
of you who don't live in the county). If interested, I've attached the
membership form for your convenience. So,

1.	JOIN (using the form or going to
https://www.sanrafaelheritage.org/membership.html), and then
2.	REGISTER FOR FREE THE EVENT HERE:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeTBP80xiIIVcBDMWkMns5KNh-uIhHO-hWj
XFoTwj0xTPUw5A/viewform

The organizers will know you've registered, but it'd be great if you'd also
tell me you're attending, as I will be on the lookout for my especial
friends.

Thanks for your attention-I am sure I've missed some folks, so if you are
chatting with any of our history cabal, please let them know, too!

Even if I don't see you, love you all!

Regards,

Laura A. Ackley, Author San Francisco's Jewel City: The Panama-Pacific
International Exposition of 1915