[PPIE Lectures] 1915 Exposition "Tour Talk" at the Larkspur Library TONIGHT, September 23, at 7pm, Larkspur

PPIE Lectures ppielectures at sf1915.com
Wed Sep 23 14:43:52 EDT 2015

Dear Friends,

I'll be speaking TONIGHT at the Larkspur Library. I regret the short notice,
but I had the inevitable and tedious hard drive crash and my computer was
out of commission.

In any case, this lecture will be the ever-popular "quick walk through the
Exposition," which touches on most areas of the Panama-Pacific International
Exposition, with more than 100 rare photographs in a 45 minute talk. And
this lecture is FREE!

And I will be selling and autographing books afterwards (and possibly
before, time permitting).

The details:

Larkspur Library

400 Magnolia Avenue

Larkspur, CA 94939

7 p.m. lecture start, in the upstairs chambers.

If you've never been to Larkspur, it is a lovely town in Marin with great
restaurants! So you might see the lecture, then go for a nice meal.

(Please excuse any "wonky formatting in the following-it's due to people
having different width windows for mail.

Here is some other important news and a request for assistance from the
"PPIE Team!"

First, Some History:

Here is the Golden Gate Park Conservatory of Flowers in 1915:

In 1915, on a slope in front of the Conservatory of Flowers in Golden Gate
Park, was planted a beautiful sign executed entirely in flowers. It read
"San Francisco Welcomes the World" in honor of the Panama-Pacific
International Exposition.

Here is where the new "Floral Plaque" of living blossoms will go:

This year, another floral tribute will be placed on the same slope in front
of the Conservatory, honoring the great world's fair's centennial-BUT-only
if we raise enough funds!

Learn more here:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/a-floral-tribute-to-celebrate-the-ppie-ce
ntennial#/story

Those who contribute just $25 will receive a commemorative PPIE Centennial
gift and an invitation to the opening event!

You donation is also tax deductible as this is a non-profit.

There is no minimum donation. Feel free to donate $5 if you want to support
this idea. I hope that anyone who has enjoyed one of the many great
centennial events this year will give! Thank you so much for considering
this.

Note that replying is disabled for this mailing list. If you'd like to
contact me, please e-mail to  <mailto:ppie at sf1915.com> ppie at sf1915.com. As
always, please visit my website for information on upcoming lectures at:

Hope I'll see you tonight in Larkspur! Next public event should be October 5
at the Hillside Club in Berkeley

Regards,

Laura Ackley

Author: San Francisco's Jewel City: The Panama-Pacific International
Exposition of 1915

Recipient, Gold Medal at the California Book Awards

Oscar Lewis Award, the San Francisco Historical Association

---