[PPIE Lectures] Upcoming PPIE Lectures and Other Great Centennial Events!

PPIE Lectures ppielectures at sf1915.com
Mon Nov 16 19:59:04 EST 2015

Dear Friends,

For the history fan on your list: Many folks have requested order forms for
my book so they can give an autographed copy as a holiday gift. It was so
gratifying this year when people approached me at events and told me they
loved the book, and they had received it as a present. So, I'm attaching an
order form.

So, the incredible Centennial year of the Panama-Pacific International
Exposition draws to a close, there are a bunch of wonderful events still
available!  And, many of the great exhibits will last well into the New
Year. So here is the latest lineup, both from me and some other don't miss
events!

Most importantly, there will be a big "Closing Night" event on December 4 at
the bottom of Market Street, facing the Ferry Building, where the beautiful
"1915" lights will be ceremonially turned off, much as were those on Closing
Night, December 4, 1915. This event will have several speakers (yes,
including me), singers, souvenirs for the first 500 or so, and some
surprises.  Here's the invitation, which I will also include as an
attachment for readability.

It is also posted on my "Laura Ackley: Author, San Francisco's Jewel City"
Facebook page:

Upcoming Laura Ackley Lectures:

November 18/2015, 1:00 PM, Wednesday: San Rafael City Council Chambers, 1400
FIFTH AVENUE SAN RAFAEL (Sponsored by the San Rafael Public Library)

            Lecture: "Design, Color and Light at the PPIE"

December 3/2015, San Francisco Public Library, Skylight Gallery. 6:00 PM or
6:30 PM. Thursday. (Please check San Francisco Public Library website for
exact time)

            Lecture: "Closing Night of the PPIE and After the Lights Went
Out."

December 4/2015, 4:15 PM, Friday at the foot of Market Street, Facing the
Ferry Building:

Centennial Closing Night Celebration

December 5/2015, 2:30 PM, Saturday, San Mateo Public Library, Oak Room, 1st
Floor. 55 W. 3rd Avenue San Mateo, CA 94402

            Lecture: "A Tour of the Palaces, Exhibits, Music and Midway of
the PPIE"

December 7/2015 7:30 PM, Monday. Sausalito Historical Society Monday.
Campbell Hall, intersection of San Carlos and Santa Rosa, Sausalito. 70
Santa Rosa Ave., Sausalito, CA 94965

            Price: $10 for Members, $15 for non-members

            Lecture: "Dance, Music and Song at the PPIE"

Other Exhibits and Events!

*       12/4/2015, 6:00 - 8:00pm, Friday.  "The Lights Go Down, the Party
Continues!" After the Centennial Closing Night Celebration, head over to the
California Historical Society* at 678 Mission St., SF for their annual
"HISTORIC LIBATIONS" party! "Join us in celebrating this remarkable event at
Historic Libations, CHS's annual holiday cocktail party. Sip California
cocktails, legendary and obscure, toast to the history of mixed drinks, and
commemorate the end of one chapter in California's history and the beginning
of another." Tickets $60 or $80, available at:
https://historiclibations2015.eventbrite.com

*Also note you can still enjoy the CHS "City Rising" Exhibit, interpreting
the PPIE, and featuring hundreds of wonderful artifacts, will be open until
January 3. Don't miss it!

*       12/16 - 12/31, 2015: The San Francisco Nutcracker Ballet. Since
2004, San Francisco's production of the Nutcracker has been set in the year
1915. For the centennial of the PPIE, the Nutcracker is presenting several
historical panels created by the California Historical Society. Also, I have
written an essay for the ballet that will appear in its annual commemorative
program!

*       October 17/2015 - January 10/2015, the de Young Museum, Golden Gate
Park: "Jewel City: Art from San Francisco's Panama-Pacific International
Exposition." Curator James Ganz spent three years putting together a
collection of more than 200 of the actual artworks that appeared in the
galleries of the Palace of Fine Arts at the PPIE, plus actual murals and
sculpture that decorated its grounds. This exhibit tells the story of how
the PPIE Art Department wanted to present a show-the first major
international art exhibit on the west coast-that would help educate viewers.
The program strove to present works from ancient to modern, thus showing the
continuity that led up to the most recent movements in the art world! While
many of the works by lesser-known artists will surprise you, the show also
contains works by Monet, Winslow Homer, James Earle Fraser, Whistler, Ansel
Adams, and many, many more. THIS EXHIBIT RUNS FOR ONLY 12 SHORT WEEKS!
PLEASE GO SEE IT!

*       Thursday, November 12, 2015 - Sunday, April 10, 2016: The Annual
Special Exhibit of the Garden Railway at the Conservatory of Flowers in
Golden Gate Park. "All aboard for a trip back in time as the Conservatory of
Flowers presents an all new garden railway display celebrating the
centennial of San Francisco's 1915 Panama-Pacific International Exposition.
In an enchanting display landscaped with hundreds of dwarf plants and
several water features, model trains wend their way through the festive
fairgrounds, zipping past whimsical recreations of the fair's most dazzling
monuments and amusements, including the Tower of Jewels, Palace of Fine
Arts, and more. Interpretive signs, memorabilia and interactive activities
throughout help visitors to understand the colorful history of the grand
fair that signaled San Francisco's recovery from the 1906 earthquake."** See
more at:
http://www.conservatoryofflowers.org/special-exhibits/gardenrailway1915

** I have seen this and it is just fun and awesome. They have re-created
some of the most memorable buildings at the Fair in miniature, and it is
whimsical and wonderful! Plus you get to enjoy the magical environment of
our beloved Conservatory of Flowers!

Note that replying is disabled for this mailing list. If you'd like to
contact me, please e-mail to  <mailto:ppie at sf1915.com> ppie at sf1915.com. My
website is not currently up-to-date, so please visit my Facebook Page:

"Laura Ackley: Author, San Francisco's Jewel City" for the latest
information and other PPIE tidbits.

Regards,

Laura Ackley

---