[PPIE Lectures] Order San Francisco's Jewel City by December 15 to receive it before the 25th!

PPIE Lectures ppielectures at sf1915.com
Sun Dec 13 02:49:17 EST 2015

Dear Friends,

Perhaps you've been thinking about getting a copy of San Francisco's Jewel
City: the Panama-Pacific International Exposition of 1915 as a holiday gift
to the history-lover on your list, or to keep for yourself! Winner of the
California Book Awards Gold Medal, and the Oscar Lewis Award from the San
Francisco History Association.

If you order by December 15 (at the link below only), I will inscribe it as
you wish and have it delivered before the 25th.

Go to https://mkt.com/sfjc
<https://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmkt.com%2Fsfjc&h=6AQFI9RbpAQ
F2f5vvUL3yMypLWvFSoxNQF7EkdFQ5iiei7Q&enc=AZMCaz56vso4FFNP9JSSe4Rx6-3PGXJmfBS
nd2zTlKSK4D5qotl0eaaCDZQy8J3SH94_HJrm-gxeUm3ZHgik6i-TDhB_9wNJb7IFmLgLWIriron
QSEi4aevZCTuKTnQ1UsIz1piJOTwKDaegCDS_kU6B9e6v4VNxe_rqYJRWOAbzO4vRymOo6UiYWCZ
2G1IIGGU&s=1>  to order

Make sure you choose

*       "Name in notes at checkout" for a personalized copy

*       "Author signed only" for just a signature, or

*       "Do not autograph" for a very basic presentation!

In other news, I hope that a few of you were able to make it out to the "The
Lights Go Out" ceremony at the Ferry Building on December 4, the centennial
of the PPIE's Closing Day. I had the privilege of being one of the speakers,
and was charged with describing to the crowd how it felt to be at the Fair
when it ended.

Scott Seligman (a major donor to the whole effort), Anthea Hartig (director
of the California Historical Society), former Mayor Willie Brown, and our
fearless leader, Donna Ewald Huggins also spoke. Chanteuse Theresa LaQuey
sang several numbers from 1915.

Many friends of the Fair, including Carol Jensen and Jay Stevens, handed out
souvenirs, including special LED "candles, which gradually changed colors.
Even Buffalo Bill Cody and aviator Art Smith were on hand!

As the sun went down, the lights on the Ferry Building came on one more time
as a biplane circled the tower. Then, as the lights were extinguished, the
audience held up their electric candles in commemoration. It was very
beautiful and I'm proud to have played a small part.

Thanks to everyone who has come to a talk or supported me during this
effort. It has made a tremendous positive impact for me. There will be more
public lectures, but as you might expect, next year should be much quieter!

Best Wishes,

Laura Ackley

P.S. I can only guarantee pre-December 25 deliver for online orders at the
link above completed by December 15!

Note that replying is disabled for this mailing list. If you'd like to
contact me, please e-mail to  <mailto:ppie at sf1915.com> ppie at sf1915.com. My
website is not currently up-to-date, so please visit my Facebook Page:

"Laura Ackley: Author, San Francisco's Jewel City" for the latest
information and other PPIE tidbits

---