[PPIE Lectures] Laura Ackley's Book, San Francisco's Jewel City: The Panama-Pacific International Exposition of 1915, is finally available

sales at sf1915.com sales at sf1915.com
Tue Nov 18 16:44:59 EST 2014

The Best Ways to Purchase My Book: San Francisco's Jewel City: The
Panama-Pacific International Exposition of 1915

Dear Friends,

Thanks so much to the many of you who have expressed interest in buying a
copy or copies of my new book on the 1915 World's Fair! A number have also
asked for the best way to get it. This is actually an area where we want to
be a bit strategic to try to get the book on some of the bestseller lists.
So if you'll bear with me, I'll explain the three best ways to buy, per my
publisher's suggestions.

1)     Buy from me! By doing so, you will receive an autographed copy. You
can find an order form at:

http://www.sf1915.com/JewelCityOrderLauraAckleyML.pdf

Simply download the form, fill out, and either mail to the Post Office box
indicated, or send via email to sales at sf1915.com. I accept checks or credit
cards, which I process securely using Square.

Make sure you indicate to whom you want the book(s) autographed clearly!

2)  Buy from a local, brick-and-mortar independent bookstore on "Small
Business Saturday," which is November 29. (The day after "Black Friday.")
You can find your closest local indie bookstore by going to
http://www.indiebound.org/indie-store-finder and typing in your Zip code.
Then go to that store's web page and search for "Laura Ackley" (or "San
Francisco's Jewel City") and see if they have them in stock. You might need
to call them and make sure they order the book, which would also be a
tremendous favor to me, as it will show the stores there is interest in the
title.

3)  Buy online on "Cyber Monday," December 1. This could be from any online
source, including many of these same independent bookstores, or from Amazon.

Note that while options 2 and 3 won't get you an autographed copy, I'm happy
to sign copies for my friends any time I see you during the year, possibly
at an event if you plan to attend any!

Thank you again, and feel free to e-mail me at sales at sf1915.com if you have
any questions.

Remember also that I will be selling and signing books (and giving a short
talk) at the two upcoming book launch parties, December 4 in SF and December
8 in San Rafael. Capacity is limited so if you wish to attend either of
these, please RSVP soonest. I'd love to see my wonderful mailing list
members there. More information here:

<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001tvtZxMwzHm8wdXckOfbvIp5KXDrtPeDAyZhCWf2Rpsg3
SXaB6B8U6dHhbqSTaEy74jdpouivjsjM0KWai9HpHuxfu-SjU5mGXBfvaADNTL6H199kvfWVX6KK
CxKwvcz3qWilmmweZKDdaGScSfmbuweQ97TVkayPXL-MaPT8YAI=&c=wug7_1q2x---ceOXfuEMm
iJFWipsNK2iFQT6YhFY0o0_Nwq4drBZKw==&ch=PSaPrCAPvGTuieUx8s2fmXhGraiX6oQkISLn1
I4TM_7mjIhoDYmsTQ==>
http://ih.constantcontact.com/fs103/1114978406965/img/9.jpg

LAURA ACKLEY JEWEL CITY IN SF AND MARIN

Please join us to celebrate the publication of
Laura Ackley's

San Francisco's Jewel City:

The Panama-Pacific International Exposition of 1915

<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001tvtZxMwzHm8wdXckOfbvIp5KXDrtPeDAyZhCWf2Rpsg3
SXaB6B8U6XUZ3Ipt-0ZcxGBeGgaitaOLobB0nozwFW7q9GLvzKoBtFJCHct7QtX8Y4kitWx45vkT
tF17deAW1t5_zF1qku1nQDf8U4zDx8CU3mRz7-7Uc77lvJ-lOBxfRus7r9bYrG29-JlU3aqailTX
kvr9pD-MpmokhrhTiC8xnC_95XTJ&c=wug7_1q2x---ceOXfuEMmiJFWipsNK2iFQT6YhFY0o0_N
wq4drBZKw==&ch=PSaPrCAPvGTuieUx8s2fmXhGraiX6oQkISLn1I4TM_7mjIhoDYmsTQ==>
https://heydaybooks.com/wp-content/uploads/jewelcity.jpg

Don't miss these first two public events at which
San Francisco's Jewel City will be available for purchase!

6:00: Reception

Light snacks and beverages

6:45: Lecture

This "Whirlwind Tour of the Panama-Pacific International Exposition" will
take the audience on an amazing tour of the Fair from its original concept
in 1904 through its development and all the way to its gala opening in
February 1915. We'll peek inside the gorgeous exhibit "Palaces" for a look
at just a few of the wonders therein, and finish with some of the
attractions on the Joy Zone, the PPIE's midway. Illustrated with dozens of
amazing photos, lantern slides, postcards, souvenirs and panoramas.

7:15: Book signing

Laura Ackley will sell and sign copies of her new book.

http://img.constantcontact.com/letters/images/1101116784221/S.gif

https://imgssl.constantcontact.com/letters/images/1101116784221/PM_B2CEP_Sid
ebarTopAccent.png

December 4

6:00 to 8:00 p.m.

Cal. Historical Society

678 Mission St.

San Francisco (map)

<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001tvtZxMwzHm8wdXckOfbvIp5KXDrtPeDAyZhCWf2Rpsg3
SXaB6B8U6Qoe7-YzhQ_NBGhupe0rlIK7SRznNlWY2gctbA9Bn66vJY1_fU918vA9KE4UO_GAW7g2
OADe34GN_s1Tc27HnGleqGxXS8jD-d1HwtwhfMEc75S9uTsNGja-w56cS7bzJK8bpP9LWVsyQqtb
3SONwRsZwiXi6gyqAAAHZvG7MHo_pW1djhvqaqSRPkURT8d54cu-budlPYDorWkU454kof4=&c=w
ug7_1q2x---ceOXfuEMmiJFWipsNK2iFQT6YhFY0o0_Nwq4drBZKw==&ch=PSaPrCAPvGTuieUx8
s2fmXhGraiX6oQkISLn1I4TM_7mjIhoDYmsTQ==> Eventbrite - Jewel City San
Francisco Launch

December 8

6:00 to 8:00 p.m.

Falkirk Cultural Center

1408 Mission Ave.

San Rafael (
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001tvtZxMwzHm8wdXckOfbvIp5KXDrtPeDAyZhCWf2Rpsg3
SXaB6B8U6XUZ3Ipt-0ZcmRi_d3EWIGP2vRGdOTeWx_kSDo24u4g0TL3DxdWgtfpP6a_X2Pj4J5dP
XJwnQPp2-9jpqqWLhVWOksTz1Ct_oKIaAbh98HOauhRQD3ZoSbAoi8Yssrkbu0_gdErUPIft72HN
7L-7ovB1UeCwaQRcrguygI3p4WUeLMDCDstohW6DrEBrKeeIpjguv9_tadw7M-yUQPIYyxKowA8F
rS0wXAZSVoAkx87J2tqQeul4Noh8PqHaSjz2fYU3jEqi485_06py8kxBBdA2A5T5sFiLYA==&c=w
ug7_1q2x---ceOXfuEMmiJFWipsNK2iFQT6YhFY0o0_Nwq4drBZKw==&ch=PSaPrCAPvGTuieUx8
s2fmXhGraiX6oQkISLn1I4TM_7mjIhoDYmsTQ==> map)

<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001tvtZxMwzHm8wdXckOfbvIp5KXDrtPeDAyZhCWf2Rpsg3
SXaB6B8U6XUZ3Ipt-0ZcJMWW0hynbRhd18D9criKv1QWBBY3LjH7hezhvUnOhdLb0hs71cZHMh6D
guflez9uT_pKAxvSqC1cF9COEHKeOgD1zHYbWK9P0UFLcv1ZzMgi8eu5537_4yM8bQp1AhYqcLrC
JTyZHNZttOoqzCT09iNoLjPW0Ru4uI_J9v6uZw4sdLtFx3FYfzTfwY328TAB&c=wug7_1q2x---c
eOXfuEMmiJFWipsNK2iFQT6YhFY0o0_Nwq4drBZKw==&ch=PSaPrCAPvGTuieUx8s2fmXhGraiX6
oQkISLn1I4TM_7mjIhoDYmsTQ==> Eventbrite - Jewel City Marin Launch

https://imgssl.constantcontact.com/letters/images/1101116784221/PM_B2CEP_Sid
ebarBottomAccent.png

http://img.constantcontact.com/letters/images/1101116784221/SpacerImage.gif

http://img.constantcontact.com/letters/images/1101116784221/SpacerImage.gif

http://img.constantcontact.com/letters/images/1101116784221/S.gif

About the author

<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001tvtZxMwzHm8wdXckOfbvIp5KXDrtPeDAyZhCWf2Rpsg3
SXaB6B8U6XUZ3Ipt-0ZcxGBeGgaitaOLobB0nozwFW7q9GLvzKoBtFJCHct7QtX8Y4kitWx45vkT
tF17deAW1t5_zF1qku1nQDf8U4zDx8CU3mRz7-7Uc77lvJ-lOBxfRus7r9bYrG29-JlU3aqailTX
kvr9pD-MpmokhrhTiC8xnC_95XTJ&c=wug7_1q2x---ceOXfuEMmiJFWipsNK2iFQT6YhFY0o0_N
wq4drBZKw==&ch=PSaPrCAPvGTuieUx8s2fmXhGraiX6oQkISLn1I4TM_7mjIhoDYmsTQ==>
https://heydaybooks.com/wp-content/uploads/Ackley_web_.jpeg

Laura Ackley holds graduate degrees in Architecture from Harvard University
and the University of California at Berkeley. Her interest in the Panama
Pacific International Exposition was captured by a Cultural Landscapes
course during her undergraduate years. Laura has published a number of
articles on the Bay Area special effects and animation industries and has
taught 3D computer modeling and animation for more than a decade.

http://img.constantcontact.com/letters/images/1101116784221/S.gif

About the book

<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001tvtZxMwzHm8wdXckOfbvIp5KXDrtPeDAyZhCWf2Rpsg3
SXaB6B8U6XUZ3Ipt-0ZcxGBeGgaitaOLobB0nozwFW7q9GLvzKoBtFJCHct7QtX8Y4kitWx45vkT
tF17deAW1t5_zF1qku1nQDf8U4zDx8CU3mRz7-7Uc77lvJ-lOBxfRus7r9bYrG29-JlU3aqailTX
kvr9pD-MpmokhrhTiC8xnC_95XTJ&c=wug7_1q2x---ceOXfuEMmiJFWipsNK2iFQT6YhFY0o0_N
wq4drBZKw==&ch=PSaPrCAPvGTuieUx8s2fmXhGraiX6oQkISLn1I4TM_7mjIhoDYmsTQ==>
https://heydaybooks.com/wp-content/uploads/JewelCityCoverPhoto.png2015 marks
the centennial year of the Panama-Pacific International Exposition, when
host city San Francisco emerged from the ashes of earthquake and fire as a
center of beauty and progress. This lavishly illustrated volume is as much a
triumph as the fair itself. San Francisco's Jewel City takes readers on an
in-depth tour of the PPIE, revealing the dramas of constructing the fair and
the displays of culture and industry that awaited within the exposition
walls: electrical home appliances, rides in a homemade airplane, a world
tour of twenty-one international pavilions, luminous radium crystals, and,
of course, a model of the world-changing Panama Canal. Along the way, we
meet famous (and infamous) visitors, such as Theodore Roosevelt, Helen
Keller, Thomas Edison, and Buffalo Bill Cody. Historian Laura A. Ackley's
compelling text is unparalleled in its breadth of scope and richness of
detail, providing social and political context for the fair and offering
insight into its legacy today.
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001tvtZxMwzHm8wdXckOfbvIp5KXDrtPeDAyZhCWf2Rpsg3
SXaB6B8U6XUZ3Ipt-0ZcxGBeGgaitaOLobB0nozwFW7q9GLvzKoBtFJCHct7QtX8Y4kitWx45vkT
tF17deAW1t5_zF1qku1nQDf8U4zDx8CU3mRz7-7Uc77lvJ-lOBxfRus7r9bYrG29-JlU3aqailTX
kvr9pD-MpmokhrhTiC8xnC_95XTJ&c=wug7_1q2x---ceOXfuEMmiJFWipsNK2iFQT6YhFY0o0_N
wq4drBZKw==&ch=PSaPrCAPvGTuieUx8s2fmXhGraiX6oQkISLn1I4TM_7mjIhoDYmsTQ==>
More info>

http://img.constantcontact.com/letters/images/1101116784221/S.gif

<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001tvtZxMwzHm8wdXckOfbvIp5KXDrtPeDAyZhCWf2Rpsg3
SXaB6B8U6XUZ3Ipt-0ZcfE6zWvbEhDRatW2tmD4L3gcKlKf1Q83AhY0S4XQ2vh8HJkpysvo5k1o5
zcfreGFUfdIA7K5qigRB7Krpykbq-Hffe_mLeodx-rJ4gqdmmGY=&c=wug7_1q2x---ceOXfuEMm
iJFWipsNK2iFQT6YhFY0o0_Nwq4drBZKw==&ch=PSaPrCAPvGTuieUx8s2fmXhGraiX6oQkISLn1
I4TM_7mjIhoDYmsTQ==>
http://static.squarespace.com/static/536c0619e4b0debbd7c3d93e/t/53f5567fe4b0
aeee894e15f3/1408587391329/?format=500w

This book has been co-published with the California Historical Society and
is part of the Centennial Celebration of the Panama Pacific International
Exposition. For more information about the Centennial Celebration, please
visit
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001tvtZxMwzHm8wdXckOfbvIp5KXDrtPeDAyZhCWf2Rpsg3
SXaB6B8U6XUZ3Ipt-0ZcfE6zWvbEhDRatW2tmD4L3gcKlKf1Q83AhY0S4XQ2vh8HJkpysvo5k1o5
zcfreGFUfdIA7K5qigRB7Krpykbq-Hffe_mLeodx-rJ4gqdmmGY=&c=wug7_1q2x---ceOXfuEMm
iJFWipsNK2iFQT6YhFY0o0_Nwq4drBZKw==&ch=PSaPrCAPvGTuieUx8s2fmXhGraiX6oQkISLn1
I4TM_7mjIhoDYmsTQ==> www.ppie100.org.

http://img.constantcontact.com/letters/images/1101116784221/SpacerImage.gif

https://imgssl.constantcontact.com/letters/images/1101116784221/PM_B2CEP_Foo
terLeftAccent.png

"A century after the PPIE's towers and domes fell,

San Francisco's Jewel City is your admission ticket to a brief and brilliant
collective achievement. Enter and marvel." - Grey Brechin

https://imgssl.constantcontact.com/letters/images/1101116784221/PM_B2CEP_Foo
terRightAccent.png

Please feel free to pass this e-mail along to any other history groups or
friends you feel might be interested. Now is the time to pick up those
holiday gifts!  And lastly, thank you to all of you who have encouraged me
in my writing efforts over the several years it has taken me to realize this
project.

Regards,

Laura