[PPIE Lectures] Lecture Reminder for "Fair Fight: The Battle for the 1915 Exposition, " at the Old Mint in San Francisco, September 10, 2013 at 7:00pm

La la at sf1915.com
Wed Sep 4 00:50:42 EDT 2013

Title: Fair Fight: The Battle for the 1915 Exposition - Description: Lecture
by Laura Ackley September 10, 2013 at the Old Mint, 7:00 pmDear Friends,

Allow me to remind you about my  lecture "Fair Fight: The Battle for the
1915 Exposition," which will take place at the fabulous Old Mint in San
Francisco next Tuesday, September 10 as part of the San Francisco Museum and
Historical Society series.

Admission is $10 for the general public, $5 for Seniors, students, K-12
teachers and persons with disabilities, and free for SFMHS members.

The Old Mint is located at 88 Fifth Street at Mission in San Francisco.
Reception starts at 7:00 pm, the lecture will commence at 7:30.

There might even be a special, themed treat for the first 50 or so guests!

Those of you who have subscribed to my list for some time will have noticed
I have not presented many lectures this year. This is because I am hard at
work on my new book, a comprehensive history of the Fair, which should be
published next year! So I hope you make it out to this talk because it may
be my last public appearance for 2013. If you heard about the talk via my
list, please come introduce yourself.

Historian John Freeman reminds me that street parking is next to impossible
in that area, but the Fifth and Mission Garage is conveniently located
diagonally across from the Old Mint. I highly recommend it.

This is what I'll discuss:

Fair Fight: The Battle for the 1915 Exposition

Fans of San Francisco history know that the city hosted a spectacular
world's fair in 1915, but less well known is the engaging tale of how San
Francisco envisioned, won and built the Panama-Pacific International
Exposition against long odds. Join me for the exciting story spanning the
period from 1904, when department store magnate Reuben Brooks Hale first
proposed a San Francisco world's fair through the tumultuous first decade of
the 1900s until the final site selection in 1912.

To create the exposition, San Francisco had to surmount a variety of
obstacles, any of which could have doomed the fair. First, the city needed
to recover from the devastating 1906 earthquake and fire. Next, San
Francisco narrowly defeated New Orleans in an intense Congressional battle
for the right to host the celebration. Immediately following that victory,
local powers engaged in a contentious site selection process.

I will present dramatic images of each phase of the exposition's creation,
including stereoviews, official photographs, souvenirs, magazine articles,
telegrams, lantern slides and postcards.

Note that replying is disabled for this mailing list. If you'd like to
contact me, please e-mail to  <mailto:ppie at sf1915.com> ppie at sf1915.com. As
always, please visit my website for information on upcoming lectures at:

 <http://www.sf1915.com/events.htm> http://www.sf1915.com/events.htm

Hope to see you on September 10!

Regards,

Laura Ackley