[PPIE Lectures] Final Public Lecture of 2011 This Thursday! "People of the PPIE, " November 3, 2011, 5pm. Sausalito Historical Society

PPIE Lectures ppielectures at sf1915.com
Tue Nov 1 17:59:10 EDT 2011

Sausalito Historical Lecture Announcement Crop.jpgDear Friends,

You are cordially invited to "People of the Panama-Pacific International
Exposition," a lecture for the Sausalito Historical Society on Thursday
evening, November 3. This is likely my final public lecture this year.

The event will be held at Wellington's Wine Bar, 300 Turney St., Sausalito.
$20 for members, $25 for non-members, price includes a glass of wine and
hors d'oeuvres. RSVP with a check to Sausalito Historical Society, P.O. Box
352, Sausalito CA 94966. If you have any questions, call 415-289-4117 or
write  <mailto:info at sausalitohistoricalsociety.org>
info at sausalitohistoricalsociety.org

More than 19 million people passed through the gates of the Panama-Pacific
International Exposition between February 20 and December 4, 1915. I will
tell fascinating tales of some of the fair's special visitors, notable
guests both famous and infamous.

These will include people involved with the making of the Exposition, from
political dignitaries to the 12-year old girl who named the fair "The Jewel
City" and later made a name for herself in a completely different arena.
Inventors, famous entertainers and captains of industry will pay their
respects. Also making an appearance will be some of the more exotic denizens
of the "Joy Zone" and a few of the quirky characters who lent the fair its
special flavor. We will see the famous Diving Girls, listen to a native
orchestra at the Tehuantepec Village, and meet the couple that mushed their
way to the fair via dogsled.

And, of course, I will show an image of the Sausalito Elephants in their
original location at the fair!

Enjoy stories of these and many other characters who visited the PPIE nearly
a century ago, told using stereoviews, official photographs, souvenirs,
magazine articles, telegrams, lantern slides and, postcards.

Please check out my website for time and location of this and upcoming 2012
lectures at:

 <http://www.sf1915.com/events.htm> http://www.sf1915.com/events.htm

Hope to see some of you this Thursday!

Regards,