[PPIE Lectures] "Winning the PPIE" Lecture Thursday, August 11 at the San Rafael Mission, 6:30pm

PPIE Lectures ppielectures at sf1915.com
Tue Aug 9 19:02:11 EDT 2011

Winning the PPIE Logo Slide Sm.jpgDear Friends,

You are cordially invited to a Panama-Pacific International Exposition
lecture, "Winning the Panama-Pacific International Exposition," this
Thursday evening, August 11, at the beautiful Mission in San Rafael at
6:30pm. The Mission is located at 1104 5th Avenue, San Rafael.  Free, but $5
donation suggested to support the series.

This lecture tells the engaging tale of how San Francisco envisioned, won
and built the Panama-Pacific International Exposition against long odds.
Join me for the exciting story spanning the period from 1904, when
department store magnate Ruben Brooks Hale first proposed a San Francisco
world's fair, through the tumultuous first decade of the 1900s until the
final site selection in 1912.

To create the exposition, San Francisco had to surmount a variety of
obstacles, any of which could have doomed the fair. First, the city needed
to recover from the devastating 1906 earthquake and fire. Next, San
Francisco narrowly defeated New Orleans in an intense Congressional battle
for the right to host the celebration. Immediately following that victory,
local powers engaged in a contentious site selection process.

I will present dramatic images of each phase of the exposition's creation,
including stereoviews, official photographs, souvenirs, magazine articles,
telegrams, lantern slides and, postcards. Mission San Rafael has an original
painting created for the PPIE, "The Baptism of Chief Marin," by Ettore
Serbaroli, in its collection.

I'm excited to present this lecture because it naturally segues into my
September 7, 7:30pm lecture to the Mill Valley Historical Society, which
covers the design and construction of the Fair from 1912 until Opening Day
in 1915.  So if you missed "Part I" (Winning the PPIE) earlier this year or
would like to see it again, here is your opportunity.

Please check out my website for time and location of these and several other
upcoming lectures at:

http://www.sf1915.com/events.htm

Hope to see some of you on Thursday.

Regards,