[PPIE Lectures] Premiere of Second "Creating the PPIE" Lecture, Saturday April 23, 1:30 at Fort Mason C-370

PPIE Lectures ppielectures at sf1915.com
Tue Apr 19 01:40:42 EDT 2011

Creating the PPIE 2 Logo Slide.jpgDear Friends,

You are cordially invited to a brand new Panama-Pacific International
Exposition lecture this Saturday in San Francisco. Yes, it's my second new
presentation in less than a month-a record.

This will be the world premiere of my new lecture, titled "Creating the
Panama Pacific International Exposition: Part II," and will take place at
the San Francisco Postcard Club meeting on April 23.

The lecture will at the San Francisco Postcard Club meeting, Saturday April
23, 2011 from 12 Noon to 3PM in room C-370 of Fort Mason Center, Laguna St.
at Marina Blvd. in San Francisco.  After the monthly club meeting, I should
"hit the stage" after 1:15. But it's fun to come early and look through
postcards for sale.

Here's the synopsis:

Creating the Panama Pacific International Exposition: Part II

Fans of San Francisco history know that the city hosted a spectacular
world's fair in 1915, but less well known is the engaging tale of how San
Francisco envisioned, won and built the Panama-Pacific International
Exposition against long odds. Join architectural historian Laura Ackley for
a presentation of the period between 1912 and 1915, after the final site of
the exposition had been selected but before construction began. It can be
enjoyed even if you haven't seen Part I. Ackley will describe the challenges
of building the fair on a site of which 70 acres was under water at high
tide.

The talk will include images of the elaborate exhibit "Palaces," early
renderings of the grounds and architecture, along with elements of the fair
that were not constructed. Ackley will discuss how exhibits were selected,
the rules governing midway attractions, how the fair was promoted and the
ways in which the outbreak of World War I affected the exposition. Progress
photographs of construction will culminate in the grand opening day parade
and festivities.

The lecture will be illustrated with dramatic and often rare images of the
exposition's creation, including viewbooks, panoramas, official photographs,
souvenirs, magazine articles, newspaper articles, lantern slides and
postcards.

If you are interested but cannot make one of the lectures, don't worry, they
are independent and you don't need to have seen one to enjoy the other.

I will also be presenting Part 2 of "Creating the PPIE" to the Mill Valley
Historical Society the evening of September 5. Please check out my website
for time and location of this an several other upcoming lectures at:

http://www.sf1915.com/events.htm

Hope to see some of you this week!

Regards,

Laura Ackley